Log in

29 April 2009 @ 11:56 pm
The demise of my car, part 1  
First off, I noticed a smell in my car right after going to Friday Night Waltz on the 17th. This may or may not be related. I have no idea. Sam never seemed to notice it. (That is unrelated.)

I got my oil changed on Thursday afternoon. When they changed my oil, they told me that I had almost no coolant in my car and they discovered that my current coolant cap was holding almost no pressure at all. I decided to buy a new radiator cap from them for $10.99. I thought that I was making a wise decision. At the same time, I had my transmission fluid flushed and changed.

I drove to work the next morning and noticed a residue on my windshield that was not going away when I ran my defroster or when I used my windshield wipers. I wondered at it, but as I was concerned about getting to school with enough time to get all my materials ready for the day’s lessons, I didn’t think about it much.

After school, I went home and got ready for my weekend in Oakland. I drove up to San Francisco to do various things, which I will probably talk about in my next entry, unless I forget, in which case, I won’t. So, I spent the weekend up in Oakland, driving to San Francisco twice, and going all over Oakland, Emeryville, and Berkeley. My car continued to have residue on the windshield, but I thought that it was due to transmission fluid having been spilled onto my engine during my transmission fluid change. I dealt with it.

I left Sam’s at 7pm on Sunday. I was driving down 880 at about 70 mph (that’s totally not breaking the law) and my car began to slow down. It stepped slightly harder on the gas, but it didn’t respond. I started to merge to the right to get off the freeway when the engine did a bad thing and seemed to seize. I successfully got off the freeway and rolled to a stop at the light. Then my car decided it was dead. I tried to push it by myself, to no avail, but a nice guy got out of his car and helped me. (I had to try to jump into my moving car, which I somewhat missed and nearly fell on the ground, which was quite exciting. It’s always fun to not get run over by one’s own car.) I got the car stopped and checked out by 7:30, called Sam to let him know what had happened and texted my sister to let her know that I was not going to be at dance class this evening. I decided to get some coolant and fill up my radiator on my own instead of calling AAA right away. (This, in hindsight, was a bad idea.) I walked over to a gas station and got some coolant and put it into my car. It wouldn’t start. At that point (8:15) I called AAA.

The lady that I talked to first was an idiot. She couldn’t find me in the system and put me on hold for almost 10 minutes while she looked. There was some confusion about where I wanted the car towed, but I thought I had straightened that out with her. Apparently not though. I sat and sat and sat. I ended up sitting, playing with my iPhone for 4 hours from the time I first broke down. Luckily, I ended up on the phone with a very nice lady (who happened to have an LJ) and we ended up talking for the last 40 minutes or so. (And she added me as a friend!)

The tow truck arrived at 11:30. I made it home by 12:30. The tow truck guy carried my new dresser that I bought at IKEA into my mom’s house. Then he drove me and my car to my mechanic. I then went out to dinner with my mom and came back to all of my remaining belongings that I had stored in my mom’s den on top of my bed. It was 2:30 am by this time and I was exhausted.

(to be continued)
shanacatshanacat on April 30th, 2009 11:57 pm (UTC)
"I drove up to San Francisco to do various things, which I will probably talk about in my next entry, unless I forget, in which case, I won’t."

I love this sentence. I don't know why.